Open Call for Art
The 39 Steps
Exhibition: January 9 – March 5, 2017
Submissions Due: November 13, 2016
Curator: Anna Macrae
artEAST is excited to be partnering with Village Theatre in Issaquah to pay tribute to Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece spy film, The 39 Steps.
Village Theatre strives to provide an influential center of excellence in family theater by producing top quality live performances. artEAST is delighted to bring together the visual arts responding to performance arts for this special juried exhibition.
- This is an open call to Puget Sound area artists, in support of our local artist community.
- This call is open to all mediums, both 2 and 3 dimensional artwork. Artists may submit up to 5 pieces of art for the jury.
- We are looking for a broad range of artwork; it may reference this fast-paced whodunit thriller, capture the classic era of the 1930’s or play with the magic of the theatre.
- The artwork will be on display at artEAST and Village Theatre which are both located on Front Street in Issaquah and are within easy walking distance of one another.
- Village Theatre has generously offered to give a behind the scenes experience and discounted tickets to accepted artists.
- Items submitted for consideration must be the items that will be in the show, if accepted.
Exhibition Dates: Monday, January 9 – Sunday, March 5, 2017
Deadline for jury submission: Sunday, November 13, 2016, midnight
Intake at artEAST for accepted artwork: Sunday, January 8, 11am–12:30pm
Reception at artEAST: Saturday, January 21, 5:30–7pm
Performance at Village Theatre: Wednesday, January 18–Sunday, February 26, 2017
Behind the Scenes Experience at Village Theatre: TBD
Art Pickup at artEAST: Sunday, March 5, 11am–12:30pm
- All 2-D work must be framed OR gallery wrapped canvas and wired ready to hang (no sawtooth hangers).
- Artists are responsible for physical delivery of their accepted artwork(s) by the deadline, and pickup of any unsold artwork at end of the exhibition.
- A signed Exhibitions Release form must be presented, and the artEAST-provided Inventory Sheet must be signed when work is brought to Intake.
- A current W-9 form must be on file for you to be paid sales proceeds 45 days post event.
- All sales will go through the artEAST Gallery sales desk.
- A 35% commission fee will be taken on all exhibition sales.
To apply to the exhibition
1. Prepare your .JPG files to the following specifications:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: Use maximum image size of 1200 pixels on the longest dimension
- File resolution: Save at 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- File size: 3 MB maximum
- Rename your files with your last name and a number. For example: Doe_01.jpg, Doe_02.jpg.
2. Send us the following information by email (Ex39Steps17@arteast.org) or post (artEAST, Attn: The 39 Steps Exhibition, 95 Front St. N, Issaquah WA 98027).
- Subject: Submit to The 39 Steps
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one.
- Whether you are a current artEAST member.
- Your artist statement (relating to your submission and/or exhibit theme), in 100 words or less.
3. Provide your artwork images as email attachments or on a CD. For each piece of art submitted, provide:
- Year completed
- Finished dimensions (including frame)
- Price (If “Not for Sale” please list value)
The curators will make every effort to let you know if any information is missing, but it’s your responsibility to ensure that your information is complete. If you have any questions, please contact Ex39Steps17@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.