artEAST Member Call for Prequalification
20 Days of Art
Exhibition: September 19–November 15, 2016
Qualifications Due: June 30, 2016
Curator: Anna Macrae
This exhibition is designed to challenge artists to explore making a series of new works over a period of 20 days. The artist is asked to build on exploring a process, technique or subject, creating a cohesive body of work that shows progression within that series, whilst pushing their artist practice.
All artEAST Members are invited to take part in this art challenge. There are two ways that members can be involved with this project. Everyone is invited to follow the guidelines and produce work during the art making period. There will be a “blog” site setup where you are encouraged to share your experience and images. There will be a limited number of artists (due to space) that will be pre-selected to show their body of work in the Exhibition space. During the Members’ Event, there will be an opportunity to show additional works in the Education room as a popup exhibition.
- There is a pre-qualifying process for the Exhibition to ensure the commitment of the artists and to assign the appropriate display space
- This call is open to all mediums, both 2 and 3 dimensional artwork
- The selected artists are expected to complete 20 pieces of art
- The start and finish date is flexible to suit your schedule, within the overall working period time frame, but for best results and your own personal growth within the project you are asked to make work consecutively for 20 days in a row
- Two dimensional works will be displayed in 5 rows of 4 pieces. Smaller pieces of art are best suited for this project; a preferred size would be approximately 12 x 12″
- Artists are asked to contribute content to the event page on Facebook, in our private members-only group, where they can add a short diary posting to document the process and help generate interest in the challenge
- Artists who are not selected are encouraged to continue with the challenge, follow the same guidelines for the challenge, and participate in the event blog and the members’ event pop-up exhibition.
Deadline for pre-qualification submission: June 30th, 2016, midnight
Notification: by July 12th
Working period: between July 15th – August 30th
Promotional photos due: August 18th
Artwork Intake: Sunday, September 18th
Reception: Thursday, September 29th, 6-8pm
Members’ Event: Sunday, October 16th, 4-6pm
Deinstall: Tuesday, November 15th
To apply to the Exhibition
Interested artists should send the following information by email to: Ex20Days16@arteast.org
Subject: Submit to 20 Days of Art
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, and website/blog/Facebook reflecting your work
- A brief statement expressing your interest and commitment to the project
- Five high-quality images of your work, as .jpg attachments
- You are invited to follow the same guidelines as above
- You are encouraged to record your artwork updates and process in the event page on our Facebook members group.
- A selection of artwork will be featured as a popup exhibition for the members event – stay tuned for details closer to October 16
If you have any questions, please contact Ex20Days16@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.