Open Call for Artist in Residence Proposals
Residence Timeframe: July 9 – September 17, 2016
Proposals Due: April 24th, 2016
artEAST is looking for an artist who would benefit from expanding on their normal way of working to create a site specific installation.
This is a unique opportunity for an artist to make, play and explore whilst pushing the boundaries of their artist practice.
- The artist will be working in the artEAST Exhibitions space, which is approximately 17 x 10 feet. The space is open and accessible to the public.
- The artist is expected to interact with visitors, and share his/her visions and experiences.
- The artist is encouraged to work out of the space approximately 2 or 3 days a week, during normal working hours of the Art Center. There is an amount of flexibility for on-site time commitment, will be mutually agreed to on acceptance.
- There is an expectation that the artist will take part in some community programming activity.
- The artist is encouraged to try something new to them.
- There will be a closing reception, with food & refreshments, where the finished work will be presented to the public.
- A stipend of up to $500 will be granted based on the proposal.
- This opportunity is open to all Puget Sound area artists. (At this time we are unable to accomodate artists from outside the local area.)
Deadline for proposals: April 24th, 2016, midnight (date extended from original announcement)
Take possession of the space: Saturday, July 9th, 2016
Downtown Issaquah Art Walk: Friday, August 5th, 2016, 6–9pm
Closing Reception: Saturday, September 17th, 2016, 6-8pm
Deinstall: Sunday, September 18th, 2016
Expectations for Use of the Space
- The floors should be protected with drop cloths.
- This is a public space, so safety considerations must be given to the manner of working, facility accessibility, and the equipment and materials used.
- The walls are tall white gallery quality, you are encouraged to make use of the space for your project, but the walls must be returned to the same condition on deinstallation.
To apply for the Residency
- Your proposal should comprise of a short statement outlining your project ideas, including how you would use the space, your goals, and a timeline to complete your project. Tell us how you would engage the public and state how this residency would benefit you and your artist practice.
- A shortlist of applicants will be invited to give an informal presentation of their proposal.
- Interested artists should send the following information by email to: ExAIR16@arteast.org
- Subject: Submit to AIR 2016
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one
- Artist Statement (relating to this Artist in Residence opportunity)
- Five high-quality images of your work, as .jpg attachments
If you have any questions, please contact ExAIR16@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.