Open Call for Juried Art
The Incredible Intensity of Just Being Human
Exhibition: April 18–July 11, 2016
Submission Deadline: January 24, 2016
Curator: Kate Vrijmoet
artEAST Art Center and Blakely Hall
artEAST has invited Kate Vrijmoet (http://katevrijmoet.com/about/) to bring “The Incredible Intensity of Just Being Human” to its community on the Eastside. In “The Incredible Intensity of Just Being Human”, Puget Sound artists examine the stigma and silence surrounding mental illness. This art & social change exhibit creates a platform for community engagement, conversation and unification.
To find out more, please visit www.theincredibleintensity.com.
- Open to all Puget Sound artists.
- 2-d, 3-d, and video art will all be considered.
- Please take into consideration that this exhibition will involve local youth and their families through site visits, events, and panel discussions.
- Artists who are or have been personally impacted in some way by mental illness, and create work in response to their experience are our ideal applicants.
- The artwork will be on display at artEAST in Issaquah and Blakely Hall in the Issaquah Highlands, with the possibility of other satellite exhibition spaces.
- artEAST has partnered with the Issaquah School District, health experts and other support organizations for this exhibition. We will be building public programs around the exhibition, and also engaging the school community in activities and interactions.
- The exhibition will be on display during May, which is Mental Health Month.
- Artists may submit up to three (3) works for the jury process. Work must be original, complete, and not previously juried at an artEAST exhibition.
- Artists should submit a 100 word or less artist statement related to the work being submitted.
- Items submitted for consideration must be the items that will be in the show, if accepted.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, January 24, 2016, midnight
Art Intake: will depend on exhibit location
Opening Reception and related programming: Dates TBD
Exhibition Dates: April 18-July 11, 2016 (NOTE: These dates will vary slighty depending on exhibit location.)
Art Pickup: will depend on exhibit location
- All accepted artwork must include secure method for hanging, NO sawtooth hangers please.
- Artists are responsible for physical delivery and pickup of their accepted artwork(s). Artists are expected to be available to assist with volunteer jobs related to the show.
- A signed Exhibitions Release form and an Artist Inventory listing the piece(s) must be presented with your work at intake.
- A current W-9 form must be on file for you to be paid sales proceeds 45 days post event.
- All sales will go through the artEAST Gallery sales desk.
- A 35% commission fee will be taken on all exhibition sales.
- Purchased artworks will remain on display through the end of the exhibition.
- Artists are responsible for reading and following the exhibition guidelines and expectations.
To apply to the exhibition
1. Prepare your .JPG files to the following specifications:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: Use maximum image size of 1200 pixels on the longest dimension
- File resolution: Save at 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- File size: 3 MB maximum
- Rename your files with your last name and a number. For example: Doe_01.jpg, Doe_02.jpg.
2. Send us the following information by email (ExIntensity16@arteast.org) or post (artEAST, Attn: The Incredible Intensity Exhibition, 95 Front St. N, Issaquah WA 98027).
- Subject: Submit to The Incredible Intensity 2016
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one.
- Whether you are a current artEAST member.
- Your artist statement (relating to your submission and/or exhibit theme), in 100 words or less.
3. Provide your artwork images as email attachments or on a CD. For each piece of art submitted, provide:
- Year completed
- Finished dimensions (including frame)
The curators will make every effort to let you know if any information is missing, but it’s your responsibility to ensure that your information is complete. If you have any questions, please contact ExIntensity16@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.