Open Call for Juried Art
Call of the Clouds
Exhibition: January 15–March 15, 2016
Submission Deadline: December 5, 2015
Curators: Megan Somerville-Loomis and TS Loomis
Open Call for Artwork
We invite Pacific Northwest artists to submit artwork and public event-related proposals* for “Call of the Clouds”, an exhibition with related events to be held at Blakely Hall in Issaquah, Washington.
water vapor wind
wisps to wildebeests
Clouds have found a welcome home in the human creative experience, from the earliest cave drawings to ancient Chinese ceramics to contemporary painting, photography, film, and music. Mirroring our own brief journeys, clouds’ temporal existence reflects our dreams and drive our imagination. Please share your art, born of clouds.
*Help Spark Conversations through Art:
Concurrent with the 2-D visual art, artEAST Exhibitions is exploring workshops, presentations, author and poet talks, weather oriented discussions, music and innovative programs that add depth to the subject of clouds/weather and inspire community dialog. If you have programs and ideas you believe will add to the engaging experience of this exhibition, please contact the curators at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Curators:
Megan Somerville-Loomis past president of the artEAST Board of Directors. She earned a BFA in Metal Design/Sculpture from the University of Washington and was a Ford Foundation Scholarship winner. Presently she does pastel painting and has taught metal sculpture, sculpted hot glass (solid work), and shown is several shows. She also has an MBA and is a life coach. Megan is an avid art collector and supporter.
TS Loomis is an artist and writer. He is a Vietnam Veteran with a BA cum laude (multi-disciplinary social science) and MA (graphic design/marketing communication) both from Michigan State University. Loomis has had one-man shows, participated in groups shows, and his work is in collections throughout the United States. He collects (and endeavors to create) art which brings humor and mystery into his life.
See parallel open call for “Any Umbrellas” exhibition, which will be located at artEAST’s Exhibition space on Front Street in Issaquah. These two shows will benefit from joint promotion and additional programing exploring weather related themes.
Submission Deadline: Saturday, December 5, 2015, midnight
Art Intake: Friday, January 15, 2016, 10am–Noon
Opening Reception: Saturday, January 23, 2016, 6:30–8pm
Exhibition Dates: January 16–March 14, 2016
Art Pickup: Tuesday, March 15, 2016
- This is an open call to Pacific Northwest artists for a juried exhibition.
- All art is to be cloud inspired. Collaboration and partnerships are welcome.
- Artists may submit up to three (3) works for the jury process. Work must be original, complete, and not previously juried at an artEAST exhibition.
- Artists should submit a 100 word or less artist statement related to the work being submitted.
- Items submitted for consideration must be the items that will be in the show, if accepted.
- All 2-D* mediums are welcome. All work must be framed OR gallery wrapped canvas and wired ready to hang (no sawtooth hangers). *Blakely Hall’s hanging system can only accommodate wire hung work and there is no protected display area for 3-D. If you believe you have 3-D art that can withstand the potential rigors and crowds of a large community hall, please contact the co-curators at: email@example.com.
- Artists are responsible for physical delivery and pickup of their accepted artwork(s).Artists are expected to be available to assist with volunteer jobs related to the show.
- A signed Exhibitions Release form and an Artist Inventory listing the piece(s) must be presented with your work at intake.
- A current W-9 form must be on file for you to be paid sales proceeds 45 days post event.
- All sales will go through the artEAST Gallery sales desk.
- A 35% commission fee will be taken on all exhibition sales.
- Purchased artworks will remain on display through the end of the exhibition.
- Artists are responsible for reading and following the exhibition guidelines and expectations.
To apply to the exhibition
1. Prepare your .JPG files to the following specifications:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: Use maximum image size of 1200 pixels on the longest dimension
- File resolution: Save at 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- File size: 3 MB maximum
- Rename your files with your last name and a number. For example: Doe_01.jpg, Doe_02.jpg.
2. Send us the following information by email (ExClouds16@arteast.org) or post (artEAST, 95 Front St. N, Issaquah WA 98027).
- Subject: Submit to Call of the Clouds 2016
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one.
- Whether you are a current artEAST member
- Your artist statement (relating to your submission and/or exhibit theme), in 100 words or less
3. Provide your artwork images as email attachments or on a CD. For each piece of art submitted, provide:
- Year completed
- Finished dimensions (including frame)
The curator will make every effort to let you know if any information is missing, but it’s your responsibility to ensure that your information is complete. If you have any questions, please contact ExClouds16@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.