Open Call for Juried Art
Exhibition: January 11–March 12, 2016
Submission Deadline: December 5th, 2015
Curator: Anna Macrae
artEAST Art Center
Open Call for 3-dimensional Artwork
You are invited to take part in this celebration of our famous Seattle rain, by adorning the iconic umbrella. We would like to challenge your creative interpretation of this theme and encourage you to think broadly about how you might approach this project.
- This is an open call to Pacific Northwest artists for a juried exhibition.
- You may take an existing umbrella or the framework of one, and use it as your armature.
- You may choose to fashion your own structure.
- Use your freedom of expression to embellish or create a new art piece as a 3-dimensional tribute to the umbrella.
- Consider its function, its symbolism, metaphors for protection, its classic structure, its place in history, open or closed, and then there’s the handle, play with it and make some art happen.
- The pieces will be suspended on installation, so please include a method or anchor point for hanging, and also please consider the preferred orientation for how your piece will best be viewed.
- Artists may submit up to three (3) works for the jury process. Work must be original, complete, and not previously juried at an artEAST exhibition.
- Artists should submit a 100 word or less artist statement related to the work being submitted.
- Items submitted for consideration must be the items that will be in the show, if accepted.
See parallel open call for “Call of the Clouds” exhibition, which will be located at artEAST’s satellite exhibition space at Blakely Hall Issaquah Highlands. These two shows will benefit from joint promotion and additional programing exploring weather related themes.
Submission Deadline: Saturday, December 5, 2015, midnight
Art Intake: Sunday, January 10, 2016 at artEAST
Opening Reception: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 6-8pm
Exhibition Dates: January 11–March 12, 2016
Art Pickup: Sunday, March 13, 2016
- All accepted artwork must include secure method for hanging.
- Artists are responsible for physical delivery and pickup of their accepted artwork(s). Artists are expected to be available to assist with volunteer jobs related to the show.
- A signed Exhibitions Release form and an Artist Inventory listing the piece(s) must be presented with your work at intake.
- A current W-9 form must be on file for you to be paid sales proceeds 45 days post event.
- All sales will go through the artEAST Gallery sales desk.
- A 35% commission fee will be taken on all exhibition sales.
- Purchased artworks will remain on display through the end of the exhibition.
- Artists are responsible for reading and following the exhibition guidelines and expectations.
To apply to the exhibition
1. Prepare your .JPG files to the following specifications:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: Use maximum image size of 1200 pixels on the longest dimension
- File resolution: Save at 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- File size: 3 MB maximum
- Rename your files with your last name and a number. For example: Doe_01.jpg, Doe_02.jpg.
2. Send us the following information by email (ExUmbrella16@arteast.org) or post (artEAST, Attn: Umbrellas Exhibition, 95 Front St. N, Issaquah WA 98027).
- Subject: Submit to Umbrellas 2016
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one.
- Whether you are a current artEAST member.
- Your artist statement (relating to your submission and/or exhibit theme), in 100 words or less.
3. Provide your artwork images as email attachments or on a CD. For each piece of art submitted, provide:
- Year completed
- Finished dimensions (including frame)
The curators will make every effort to let you know if any information is missing, but it’s your responsibility to ensure that your information is complete. If you have any questions, please contact ExUmbrella16@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.