Open Call for Juried Art
Think-Out-of-the-Box Sox Exhibition
Exhibition: November 5–December 5, 2015
Submission Deadline: Extended to October 11, 2015
Curators: Sylvia Harrison and Colleen Taucher
artEAST Art Center
We think it’s time to re-vision decking the hall, hang some new ideas from the chimney (with care) and set the December holidays ablaze with some new traditions.
We invite all Puget Sound area artists to participate in our Think-Out-of-the-Box Sox show by designing up to three holiday stockings for this special November-December 2015 exhibition. Your Holiday Stocking designs can be traditional, sophisticated and elegant, sweet and whimsical, narrative, quirky, dark and Grinchy or even a little twisted and off kilter. But they should all burst with artistic box-busting cheer.
Be Merry. Be Bright. Be on time for the September 30th deadline.
About the Curators
Sylvia Harrison is a senior designer with expansive background in the fashion industry. She is a graduate of the University of Washington Textile Science and Costume Studies and has designed for Obermeyer, Eddie Bauer, Cutter and Buck, and others with an emphasis on technical fabric fit as well as trends emerging from Europe. She is currently employed at SanMar.
Colleen Taucher is a graduate of the University of Washington Textile Science and Costume Studies. She has designed, made and sold leather products and worked in various Exhibit Design and Textile Design companies. Colleen is an avid art collector and appreciator.
Submission Deadline: Extended! Sunday, October 11, 2015, midnight
Art Intake: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at artEAST
Opening Reception: Saturday, November 7, 2015, 6-8pm
Exhibition Dates: November 5–December 5, 2015
Art Pickup: Sunday, December 6, 2015
This is an open call for a juried exhibition.
- Holiday Stockings must be 3-D [paintings and 2-D representations of holiday stockings will NOT be considered].
- They may be constructed of any material and/or combination of materials: fabric, fiber, paper, ceramics, metals, glass, beads, etc. Perhaps you don’t sew but dream of a silk stocking? Collaboration and partnerships are welcome, encouraged and enjoyed.
- Designs can reflect any holiday if you wish (Christmas, Hanukkah, Valentine’s Day, National Tuba Day, etc…)
- Stockings can be functional and priced to sell. [After all, tis the season and you just might kick start a new tradition for a patron.]
- No limitations on scale, but you should take into consideration the 19’ x 20’ exhibition space as well as handling and display issues.
- Artists may submit up to three (3) works for the jury process. Work must be original, complete, and not previously juried at an artEAST exhibition.
- Artists should submit a 100 word or less artist statement related to the work being submitted.
- Items submitted for consideration must be the items that will be in the show, if accepted.
- All accepted artwork must include secure method for hanging, or support for free-standing.
- Artists are responsible for physical delivery and pickup of their accepted artwork(s). Artists are expected to be available to assist with volunteer jobs related to the show.
- A signed Gallery Release form and an Artist Inventory listing the piece(s) must be presented with your work at intake.
- A current W-9 form must be on file or presented during intake for you to be paid sales proceeds 45 days post event.
- All sales will go through the artEAST Gallery sales desk.
- A 35% commission fee will be taken on all exhibition sales.
- Purchased artworks will remain on display through the end of the exhibition.
- Artists are responsible for reading and following the exhibition guidelines and expectations.
To apply to the exhibition
1. Prepare your .JPG files to the following specifications:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: Use maximum image size of 1200 pixels on the longest dimension
- File resolution: Save at 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- File size: 3 MB maximum
- Rename your files with your last name and a number. For example: Doe_01.jpg, Doe_02.jpg.
2. Send us the following information by email (ExSox15@arteast.org) or post (artEAST, Attn: Sox Exhibition, 95 Front St. N, Issaquah WA 98027).
- Subject: Submit to Sox 2015
- Contact information: Name, best phone number to reach you, mailing address, and website if you have one.
- Whether you are a current artEAST member
- Your artist statement (relating to your submission and/or exhibit theme), in 100 words or less
3. Provide your artwork images as email attachments or on a CD. For each piece of art submitted, provide:
- Year completed
- Finished dimensions
The curators will make every effort to let you know if any information is missing, but it’s your responsibility to ensure that your information is complete. If you have any questions, please contact ExSox15@arteast.org or call (425) 392-3191.